As the weather gets warmer we start to spend increasingly time in the garden. Did you realise there are several poisonous spring plant hazards for our pets?
Our pets are curious creatures and will often sniff, chew and ingest plants which could be extremely dangerous to them. Sometimes it’s just the flowers or pollen which are poisonous and sometimes it can be the bulbs or leaves.
These are extremely toxic to cats; all parts of the plant are poisonous and can lead to serious kidney problems. Even the water from a vase of lilies can contain toxins. This is something to be mindful of for those cats that like volitional water sources to drink from.
Bulbs including Daffodils, Tulips, Iris, Hyacinth, Bluebells and Crocus are very toxic to dogs. It is important to alimony them out of reach and be mindful they moreover cannot be dug up once planted. The flowers can moreover be harmful. Symptoms can include gastrointestinal upsets, fits, lethargy or zoetic difficulties.
Known to rationalization gastrointestinal upsets if ingested as well as skin irritation and rashes if the sap gets in contact with your pet’s skin. A similar plant to this is Giant Hogweed. This is present all year round, and contains a toxin in the sap which is released when the stem is broken. This can rationalization nasty skin blisters, usually seen virtually the squatter or where there isn’t so much fur. It can moreover rationalization problems if it gets into your pet’s vision or is ingested.
Other worldwide plants to avoid
Azalea, Geranium, Holly, Horse Chestnut, Hydrangea, Ivy, Laurel, Garlic plants, Grapevines, Ragwort, Rhubarb, Yew and many others.
Many types of fungi and mushrooms out in the wild can moreover be extremely dangerous if ingested and in some cases can lead to organ failure.
Certain types of compost may contain fertiliser or yes-man and large piles of leaves and compost heaps can contain harmful moulds so make sure these are kept yonder from harms reach.
There are moreover several plants that are toxic to our pet rabbits. The seedling plants mentioned previously are moreover to be avoided, as well as “Buttercups, Foxgloves, Primroses, Poppy, Holly and Yew”. Please alimony your outdoor bunnies yonder from these plants.
Further help and advice
If you are overly concerned your pet has ingested or been in contact with something that could be toxic, please unchangingly seek Veterinary translating immediately. Even if you are unsure this is important as time is often hair-trigger in these scenarios.
If you would like any increasingly information on this or any other pet health related queries, please contact out team of Registered Veterinary Nurses.